In 1875 Johannes Link, a trained wood turner and tanner, started a small workshop for simple military drums and drum heads in Weißenfels an der Saale in East Germany. From these modest beginnings developed a flourishing business, which at the turn of the century already offered a comprehensive range of percussion instruments. In 1907 the SONOR trademark was registered with the Imperial Patent Office. Around 1925 SONOR had 145 employees and was one of the largest businesses of its kind, offering a wide range of SONOR Drum Kits and Snare Drums.
After the end of World War II the East German Government expropriated the Link Family and SONOR became a state owned enterprise. But already in 1946 a new company was established by the son of the founder, Otto Link, and his son Horst. This time the location was Aue in Westphalia/West Germany. Today SONOR has evolved into a modern enterprise with its focus on the international markets